Opossum Removal in Kaw Valley
Opossums are nocturnal, so you sometimes won't even see them. A common indication that you have an opossum is the volume of droppings; these critters are known to produce more than other wildlife creatures. They are omnivorous, so they'll usually eat whatever they can get their paws on. Getting rid of opossums depends heavily on the state of your yard; if it is not appealing to their ravenous appetite, they will be less likely to stay on your property. Habitat modification like making sure your yard is free of debris piles can help keep opossums away.
Common Opossum Problems
- You may have seen footage or photos of opossums attacking and hissing at humans. So are opossums dangerous? Like any wild animal in Kaw Valley and across the world, they can be, so we don’t recommend handling them. Opossums can easily feel threatened, and they'll sometimes hiss or show their teeth if they do not play dead.
- The marsupials are carriers of diseases like tuberculosis and tularemia and other parasites like fleas, ticks, and lice. Despite what many people believe, opossums actually do not carry rabies—their body temperature is too low for rabies to survive.
- You may have seen photos of opossums carrying their babies on their back, which is another issue—when excluding opossums, we must make sure their babies are not forgotten.
Where Can You Find Opossums?
- Opossums prefer to survey their surroundings in trees, so they will be in them as much as possible.
- Opossums often burrow under porches, decks, barns, sheds and are found in crawlspaces and attics.
- Occasionally, opossums will accidentally get into homes through a pet door, but they’re easily dissuaded by a little nudge and will go back outside. You can discourage them from coming inside by making sure doors and windows are closed.
How Do I Get Rid of Opossums?
We do not recommend DIY opossum removal without proper precautions and equipment. You could injure yourself or the opossum. Instead, give our team a call. Critter Control of Kaw Valley is prepared to protect your home from current and future opossum invaders. We can help you get rid of Kaw Valley opossum problems. Call today or request a quote below!Request a Quote